Summary of the Sermon by Pastor Gilbert Khoo, Sunday, 22 December 2019
Bible verse: 2 Cor 5:17, Romans 12:1-21
How do I live a lifestyle that glorify kingdom of God?
· Lifestyle of worship (John 4:24; Col 3:23; Romans 12:1-2)
· Worship begins with ourselves at home individually through prayer, worship and reading the word of God. And, we bring our daily worship to church on Sunday and combine our worship with corporate worship on Sunday. That makes the worship more vibrant and pleasing to God. It is because we come with an attitude of a worshipper.
· The heart of worship begins with our desire to worship (our heart).
For example: Mary pour perfume to Jesus
· Act of worship is not only referring to worshiping God like singing a song, but it’s the attitude to honor God (Example: Daniel, David chose to depend on God). Everything that we do and surrendering our life to God and rely God is also act of worship.
· Lifestyle of service (Mark 10:45; Luke 22:42; Ephesians 2:10)
· Jesus is a servant leader. Jesus shows example by washing the feet of His disciples. At that time, this was to be done by the lowest servant in the house. Yet, Jesus took on that role and told His disciples that they should do likewise. Jesus show us what it means to be a servant leader.
· Through one-man sins enter the world and through one Man salvation entered the world, which is through Jesus sacrifice.
· We are created uniquely to serve and glorify God. We don’t have to do great things to impress God or others. It starts with something small. Even to help an old person to cross the street or to provide someone with a warm meal.
· Service God is allowing God working through you to serve others
· Leadership is not a position to be served, but a position to serve
· As we serve others, it makes our lives more meaning and bring impact to the world.
Example: 7-millions of believers in Kolkata through the service of Mother Theresa.
· In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)
· Lifestyle of walking in love (Romans 12: 9-21; Ephesians 5:22; 1 John 4:8; Mark 12:30-31)
· The whole 10-commandments hinges on the word love. Love God and learn to love others (see Mark 12:30-31), especially those who is difficult to love. God still love us despite us being sinners. He did not give up on us and He even sent His Son to die at the Cross for our transgressions. How great is the love of God for us? That is why the bible says in Romans 8:38-39, “For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
· God send His son, Jesus, to die for us out of love. God did it out of love for us.
· Examples: Corrie Ten Boom which shares Jesus love in the camp despite some of the prisoners rejecting the gospel message. Yet, when she came out of the prison, one of the prisoners said that she wanted to know the Jesus that she shared about in prison because her life has brought an impact!
· We need to share the message of hope and Jesus to others.
· The measure of life is not in the duration but how much we give (Corrie Ten Boom). It is not how long we live, but how much impact we can bring through the lives we lead.
Let us remind ourselves to lead a godly kingdom lifestyle on earth : lifestyle of worship, lifestyle of serving and a lifestyle of walking in love. Let God be glorified wherever we are placed.