Summary of the Sermon by Pastor Niko Prajogo, Sunday, 6 October 2019
We pray for breakthrough for problems that we encounter due to our mistakes, disobedience, rebellion. God will help us but it’s better not to go through such pains. It does not mean if we live righteous lives, we’ll free from problems but very often they are caused by our own stupidity.
May integrity and honesty protect me, for I put my hope in you (Psalm 25:21)
The prodigal son received a huge blessing from his father but he has no character in receiving it. His life was destroyed by wealth because of character which did not present in his life. Later there’s a change in his character that he asked to be the servant of his father.
· Poor Characters will destroy us. Example: Prodigal son.
· Good Characters will preserve us. Example:
o Joseph in the house of Potiphar
o Daniel 1:8 But Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself
IMAGE First, then DOMINION
God created us in His Image and Likeness (Genesis 1:26-27). We’re not giving dominion to people if they’re not trustworthy but then it will be given when they have integrity to be trusted. What is Character? Myles Munroe gave 3 points on Characters:
i. Character is a commitment to a set of values without compromise
· Values = things that you value
· Money & Wealth; Comfort & Pleasure; Health
· Marriage; Family – spouse & children
· Salvation; Word of God; Worship; Fellowship; Discipleship
ii. Character is the dedication to a set of standards without wavering
· Your own Standard; does not matter about what others do. But I say to you in Matthew 5
iii. Character is self-imposed discipline for the sake of moral convictions
· No need for anybody to police you around. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified. (1 Corinthians 9:27)
Characters Must Change when We Walk with Jesus. How can you say that you have met Great Doctor and still stays Sick? This happens when you only know Him from afar.
· Childlike – Jesus taught His disciples
· Love – 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
· Humility – Philippians 2
Today, for kingdom character, we will focus on the Beatitudes – Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5)
BLESSED: Not just Happy; it is God’s Positive Judgement which is approval from Heaven. What God approves, He blesses. What God approves is always different from what the world approves and hence we are called to renew our minds (Romans 12:2).
1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven (The Riches of Poverty)
What does “blessed” mean? Positive judgement of God, there’s approval from God. It is NOT: Conviction of No Value; Shyness; Bringing self down so that others lift you up
It is Poor before God: Personal Acknowledgement of Spiritual Bankruptcy; Nothing good that we can offer. We are Saved by Grace, and we can continue to be saved only by Grace by our Savior. It also means total dependency on God like Moses’ prayer to always rely on God’s presence. God lifts up the Humble but opposes the Proud (Psalm 34:8, Isaiah 66:1-2)
Poor in spirit means continuous dependency on God that we may experience the riches of poverty: For theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
· Poor in Spirit > Salvation Ephesians 2:8 Only by Grace you are saved
· Poor in Spirit > Spiritual Growth Revelations 3:17-18
2. Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit the earth
Jesus Christ is the Master of the Paradox: Last is First; Giving is Receiving; Dying is Living; Losing is Finding; Least is Greatest; Serving is Ruling
Meekness is not Weakness. Example, gentleness = tamed horse
Nothing is so strong as gentleness; Nothing is so gentle as real strength
Opposites of meekness:
· Harshness: mean in treating others (always interesting to see Boss in front of his Boss)
· Grasping: me first
· Vengeful: payback; retaliate
· Uncontrolled: explosive rage
HOW TO BE GENTLE?
· Fruit of the Spirit
· Yoke with Jesus
· Fill yourself with God’s Love
Pure = Internal Cleansing
We tend to put so much covering for our outside; we could still smile and behave all is well regardless whether we just had a fight. God wants to purify us inwardly so that we are clean also outwardly (see Matthew 23:25-26, Mark 7:16-22). Clean thoughts and clean hearts produce clean words, clean actions and clean behavior. How can we cooperate with Him? (Titus 2:11-14)
· Be absolutely honest with God about your heart’s conditions
· Acknowledge that only God can make your heart pure
· Fill yourself with God’s Word
Characters are commitment to value Kingdom’s of God, it’s a self-discipline to be moulded by God to have dominions from Heaven.