The Kingdom of God refers to the Kingdom of Christ; the reigning of Christ, the blessings and the privileges we receive as a result of Christ’s subjects. The Kingdom of God is not about how much we have heard about the subject but it is how much we have understood and have put into practice.
James 1:23-25 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. 25 But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.
John the Baptist used it often as he called for repentance and believe in Christ for the Kingdom of God is near Mark 1:14-15.When we are in Jesus’s Lordship God promises eternal Life in Heaven and life in abundance on earth.
In order to enjoy such blessings, we need to repent in the way we think and behave:
· Our priority must change.
Mat 6:32-33: For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
· Our way of living must change. Mat 5. 1 Cor 13.
4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;[b] 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
Hope of Glory in God’s Calling
There is a great inheritance in the Kingdom of God; a hope of glory which is our eternal life, our salvation. Many of us do not understand the real value of our salvation and we may be tricked by the devil to turn away from our faith.
Ephesians 1:18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints.
Purpose in the Kingdom of God
We have been saved for a purpose Eph 2:8-10 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Mat 5:16 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that[b] they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
· General Purpose. As a Child of God.
· Car is created for transportation. Lamp for lighting. House for dwelling.
· All of us are created for Good Works.
· Specific Calling. The Unique You.
· There are different types of Cars
o There are different types of Lamps – for study, for living room, for auditorium
o There are different types of Building – for office, for warehouse, for home
· There are different Gifts, different MEMBERS of the BODY, different Personalities
· God’s calling is Greater than ourself.
Imagine we are a piece of puzzle in the Big Picture. A puzzle is not great on its own but it will create beautiful picture when pasted together.
· Joseph was sold to save his family
· David was shepherding – fought lion and bear, before defeating Goliath and saving Israel.
· Some Characters in the Bible are shown for a short period – the girl in Naaman’s story
Living in and for His Kingdom
God’s Calling is to use us to Live in His Kingdom (to be blessed) and to Live for His Kingdom (to be a blessing) until we receive the Full Reward of His Kingdom (Heaven).
1 Peter 2:9 But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God's OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
Living IN HIS KINGDOM (Being Blessed)
After we have become a part of God’s Kingdom we are then called to be witnesses of Jesus. We are blessed to be a blessing to tell others about the love of Christ.
Living FOR HIS KINGDOM should be our focus as a Christian (BE A BLESSING) IN HIS KINGDOM (in the Church, in the Family)
1. Worship = Change of Priority; Mindset; Values > Change of Behavior & Lifestyle
2. Fellowship = Part of His Body; Live in His Family > Strength in Unity; Protection. If one can be defeated, two can withstand
3. Discipleship = Learning & Growing to Maturity >
· God puts Apostles, Prophets … Shepherds
· We are shaped by interactions with others
4. Ministry = Functioning in the Body of Christ
· We learn to serve in the Church first (NS – medic team to poke each other first)
· Have you used the gifts (Rom 12:6-8 – Motivational Spiritual Gift) 1 Cor 12 – Manifestation of Spiritual Gift
5. Witnessing = Reaching out to the lost; Calling others to come
Jesus sent His disciples two by two.
· Handling oppositions, rejections, etc.
· Stronger testimonies with more witnesses
What about Serving Outside the Church? Prison Ministry – Community services; Old Folks Home Office Ministry
1. Serving in the Body of Christ is better: more support (prayers, other ministries), more guidance (leadership).
· Get involved in COOL, get involved in BIS.
· Start small and grow from there
· Why in the Church?
o Corporate Anointing: God’s presence; God’s power; God’s grace; God’s redemptive works – in the Church
o Support from Leaders
o Companionship with other Believers
· Yes, you will have to learn to live in harmony with other believers.
2. Serving outside of the Church is best done with support from the Church
Learn to serve God in our local Church; and we can practice outside the church in the real world. The Kingdom’s calling should be our life goals as a Christian for a fruitful and a meaningful life and for our Lord to be magnified through us. Amen.