Summary of the Sermon by Pastor Niko Prajogo, at Bethany International Service, on Sunday, 5 May 2019.
Holy Spirit and the Kingdom of God
Kingdom of God is Heaven. It is God’s throne where God is in control over everything.
Jesus is seated at the right hand of God.
Jesus is the King. He came to earth to bring the Kingdom of God here on earth.
Jesus went up to Heaven and God the Father sends the Holy Spirit to empower us. What is the will of God? It is for us to believe and to be saved
Kingdom of God is not about material things.
It is about righteousness, Peace and Joy in the Holy Spirit. In God we are being changed, our characters, our way of things, our attitudes.
It is about power. It is about abundant life now and eternal life later
How does the Holy Spirit works in our lives in the kingdom of God?
1. Holy Spirit brings us into the Kingdom of God – we must receive
- Holy Spirit enables us to believe that Jesus died and rose again on the third day and confess with our mouth that Jesus is our Lord and Savior.
- We must receive and believe. Romans 10:10; 1 Cor 12:3
- Holy Spirit makes us born again. Born of water and Spirit. John 3:5-6
- He is our Inner witness that we are children of God. Romans 8:15-17
If there is any condemnation remember 1 John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”
In Christ there is no more condemnation. Believe in the Word of God and know that God loves us very much. We are children of God. The love of God is poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit.
2. Holy Spirit leads us and guide us – we must believe
We need to obey. Choose to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. It is for our own good. Testimony of Ps Niko about giving to the beggar and buying yakult through a sales lady going door to door selling it – to teach Him generosity. Another testimony of a lady who was in selling lottery business being saved by God and choose to obey the Holy Spirit and change her business for the glory of God.
Several verses on being led by the Holy Spirit can be found in Romans 8:14; Galatians 5:18; Galatians 5:25; John 16:13.
In the bible, we could find how Jesus and the apostles were led by the Holy Spirit:-
Jesus (Matthew 4:1);
Elders (Acts 13:2)
Philip (Acts 8:29)
Paul (Acts 13)
How to follow the Holy Spirit?
- Prayer. There are many noises around us. We need to focus and listen to the voice of God
- Obey. We need to obey God. We need to be led by the Word of God rather than how we feel.
3. Holy Spirit Forms and Mold us – We must cooperate
We need to live in the culture of the Kingdom of God. There is a need to shift, to change. And by doing so, we can become the salt and the light of the world.
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” (2 Cor 5:17) God’s part is to make us a new creation.
Our part is to throw off our old nature and put on New Man and walking in the Newness of Life. (see Ephesians 4:20-32)
4. Holy Spirit Empowers us – we must act by Faith (Acts 1:8; 1 Corinthians 2:4-5; 1 Thessalonians 1:5-6)
God has Anointed us to do His works. Through our kind acts, kind words, prayer we can be a channel of blessing from God to others.
Use the anointing that God has poured into our lives to show God’s greatness.
5. Holy Spirits Comforts and sustains – We must Abide (John 14:16-17)
Everyone on earth enjoys the same sun. When natural disaster comes, non-believers died, believers died. It is not that the one who was spared is more holy than the one who died. It means those who are still alive still have works that the Lord wants them to do. It is not how long we live on earth. Rather, how well we live our lives.
Holy Spirit gives us hope, glimpse of heaven. (Ephesians 1:13-14).
Let us be led by the Holy Spirit so that we can bring an impact to the kingdom of God.