Summary of the Sermon by Pastor Niko Prajogo at Bethany International Service, on Sunday, 20 May 2018.
Church Led by the Holy Spirit
Acts 1:6-8; Acts 2:1-4
Two thousand years ago, after Jesus’ ascension, the Holy Spirit came upon the disciples. One hundred and twenty people were filled with the Holy Spirit. That day is known as the Day of Pentecost, remembered on the seventh Sunday after Easter. We are blessed people – we are His children who receive His grace and mercy. We are given the Name of Jesus, the cleansing Blood of Jesus, we are empowered by the Holy Spirit and given the manual of life – the Word of God.
Jesus asked His disciples to wait in Jerusalem for the Promise of the Father. Despite having walked with Jesus for three-and-a-half years, receiving Jesus’ teaching, seeing how Jesus prayed, casting out demons, healing the sick, and answering the Pharisees … the disciples were not ready. They had no ability within themselves. The Great Commission – making disciples of all nations, was too great a task!
But on the Day of Pentecost, things changed – not on the outside, but inside the disciples! Acts 1:8 “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
The disciples received POWER when the Holy Spirit came upon them – they were READY to become WITNESSES for Jesus Christ. The disciples went on to heal the sick and preach boldly, and many who heard the Word believed. The Disciples received great threat. Instead of retreating, they prayed for BOLDNESS. However, persecution started soon after and Stephen was martyred (Acts 4:31, Acts, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12 & 13).
From then until now, the Holy Spirit continues to work within the Church. From the first Pentecost to the second Pentecost, at Azusa Street, to the third Pentecost, which signifies the last harvest before the Second Coming of Christ.
1st experience – when we are saved when we receive Jesus as our Lord and Saviour (1 Corinthians 12:3, Ephesians 1:13-14).
2nd Experience – when we are baptised with the Holy Spirit, with the sign of speaking in tongues (Acts 2:4, 19:6).
John 14:16 mentions that He will give us another Helper.
Another Helper = Holy Spirit. Parakletos = Someone who walks together with you.
It is the same Holy Spirit that empowered Jesus during His ministry on earth (Acts 10:38).
What does the Holy Spirit do?
· Holy Spirit leads you.
· Holy Spirit empowers you: over your enemies – flesh, the world, and Satan. The Holy Spirit builds up our inner man.
· Holy Spirit works in us: to produce the Fruit of the Spirit.
· Holy Spirit works through you: to operate in the Gifts of the Spirit.
· Depend on the Holy Spirit in all circumstances and seek/consult Him all the time.
· Ask the Holy Spirit to speak to us – to increase our sensitivity to God’s voice. In spite of being surround by many needs, work, problems and stress, tune yourself to the voice of the Holy Spirit. Fill and activate your spirit with the Word of God, prayer, praise, worship and thanksgiving. Be sensitive to any prompting in your heart pertaining to God’s Word (Romans 8:5-8).
· Obedience to the Word. Obedience is key to walk in the Spirit. To seek is good; to hear is good … do we have courage to obey? Obey the known Will of God and walk by faith.
The End-Time Church needs to be filled with the Holy Spirit, to have Christ-like character and to complete our spiritual gifts. The whole Body of Christ needs to be led and orchestrated together by the Holy Spirit. Great Revival will take place before the Second Coming of Jesus.