Summary of the Sermon by Pastor Niko Prajogo, at Bethany International Service, on 8 Oct 2017.
Discipleship – Be Transformed to Transform Others
The theme for this month is Discipleship – to be Disciple of Christ and to disciple others for Christ. Jesus sent His disciples to preach the Good News, and as they went out and preached everywhere, the Bible says, the Lord worked with them and confirmed the message by accompanying signs.
The best way of learning is by doing. Today, let’s practice a simple but impactful ministry – Prayer & Word of Encouragement. We are doing it in the Church today, but the same thing we can do in our daily lives.
1. Prayer by Faith – Mark 11:24
2. Prayer according to God’s will – 1 John 5:14-15
3. Prayer in Agreement – Matthew 18:19
Signs happen as we pray and believe what we are praying for (see James 5:16-18, Mark 11:24).
Word of Encouragement
- Encourage and build each other (1 Thessalonians 5:11)
- Encourage each other daily (Hebrews 3:13)
- Tell the person what God wants to tell him/her with God's love and wisdom
We are to share and encourage others with the Word of God. The Bible tells us in Isaiah 55:11, "... so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it."
We grow physically when we eat and exercise. We grow spiritually when we eat the Word and we act on. Obey it, do it and practice it. Now is the time for us to go and make disciples for Jesus Christ.
When we start ministering to others, we are flexing our spiritual muscles and grow to become strong Christians. If we are strong enough to carry our own burden, we can start to learn to help others by carrying their burdens.
What are the Differences between Multitudes and Disciples?
Multitudes follow Jesus so that they can be blessed, they can see miracles, they can hear great teaching, and they can be fed. But they don’t necessarily commit themselves to Christ. When things get tough, they leave Christ. However as a disciple, we ought to: -
· Love one another – that’s the mark of disciples of Christ. Disciples don’t get offended easily.
· Eager to learn, grow and practice what they learn. Disciples are eager not just to learn but to become like their Master.
Jesus loves multitudes and all of us start as part of the multitude, but we need to move on to become His disciples.
Discipleship Requires Everything
What is more precious than finding Christ? And if we have found Him, do we still need to look for other things? If we have Him, we have everything. If we don’t have Him, everything else is empty. When we become a disciple we need to:-
• Deny yourself – giving out freedom choice so that we can follow Him.
• Take up the cross – willingly going through difficult path for Christ (Cross = Death).
• Follow Him – we trust and obey Him.
Discipleship is about Life Transformation
Discipleship is not about program; it is about a life following Christ. When we follow Him,
· Our priorities will change
· Our purpose of life will change
· Our behavior will change – we need to follow the Word of God and the Holy Spirit will help us.
· Our “born again” experience will become reality. The change inside will be reflected outside.
We need to move on to take the yoke of Christ and learn from Him. Move from being Spectators to become Actors. “I no longer live but Christ lives in me.” Our lives are changed to become like Jesus. You are that person.
Disciples will make other Disciples
· Jesus did not send the multitudes to make disciples but He sent His disciples.
· Jesus also did not leave the disciples idling around. “As the Father sent me, so send I you.”
Disciples are those who have leave everything to follow Him; those who learn from Him and transformed by Him. We cannot fulfill the Great Commission unless we commit ourselves to become His disciples first.
Discipleship at BCS
Get involved … don’t just come and watch people being used by God … be the one to be used by God. Get excited about the possibility that you can be used by God. Join our COOL (Community of Love) and grow together. Start going out and praying for others and giving the Word of Encouragement to others and preaching the Gospel – Good News from heaven.